I, Ashu M. G. Solo, filed the following:

1. Civil rights case against the City of Saskatoon (Mayor's Office) and Councillor Randy Donauer for prayer recitations at government organized events

2. Code of Conduct complaint against Mayor Don Atchison for potential online campaign advertising violations

3. Civil rights case against the City of Saskatoon (Saskatoon Transit Services) for promoting holidays from only one religion on city buses

4. Human rights complaint against the City of Saskatoon (Executive Committee) for retaliating against me by not reappointing me to the Cultural Diversity and Race Relations Committee and not appointing me to another civic committee or board

5. Human rights complaint against the City of Saskatoon (City Solicitor’s Office) for retaliating against me by trying to deprive me of my right to directly communicate with members of City Council and by telling employees of other City of Saskatoon departments to not talk to me

6. Human rights complaint against the City of Saskatoon (Cultural Diversity and Race Relations Office) and City of Saskatoon (Living in Harmony Ad Hoc Subcommittee of Cultural Diversity and Race Relations Committee) for retaliating against me by not considering my submissions to the Living in Harmony Contest

This site contains my media releases, some case documents, emails to City Council, etc.

I don't waste my time arguing with opponents.

The backlash makes me much more determined to fight against bigotry and shows the need for these civil rights cases, so I'll be filing more civil rights cases. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Friday, October 4, 2013

MEDIA ALERT: Solo's Christmas Message Case Isn't Over Yet



From: Ashu M. G. Solo [mailto:amgsolo@mavericktechnologies.us]
Sent: Friday, October 04, 2013 11:37 PM
Subject: MEDIA ALERT: Solo's Christmas Message Case Isn't Over Yet

Dear Media:

As I said at http://ckom.com/story/provinces-human-rights-commission-rejects-merry-christmas-complaint/136401, my case about Christmas messages on Saskatoon Transit buses isn’t over yet.  I’m going to take this case to the Court of Queen’s Bench when time permits.  You haven’t heard the last of this case. 

The Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission decides whether to pursue cases based only on the Saskatchewan Human Rights Code.  At the Court of Queen’s Bench, I can make arguments based on the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.  The guarantees of religious equality and multiculturalism in the Charter will give me a much stronger case than I had with the human rights code.  Therefore, the Court of Queen’s Bench is a much better avenue than the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission for me to argue this case.  There was no harm in trying the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission first, particularly because its process is simpler and involves no cost to the complainant and they provide legal representation.

It's my position that freedom of conscience in section 2a of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms includes freedom from religion, that section 15 of the Charter guarantees religious equality, that the Charter forbids attempts to coerce, limit, or otherwise influence the choice of religious observance, and that section 27 of the Charter on multiculturalism forbids conferring special privileges or benefits on any particular religion.  It's my position that a Christmas message on Saskatoon Transit buses violates these sections of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

I think the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission made its decision based on the public backlash, not the Saskatchewan Human Rights Code.  I think the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission chickened out of pursuing this complaint because it was highly controversial and they were afraid of the public backlash against the existence of the human rights commission.  But as Sylvester Stallone said in Rocky Balboa, “Ain’t nothing over till it’s over.”

At the Court of Queen’s Bench, I will seek a judgment that has the effect of banning religious messages by the state throughout the province of Saskatchewan and that has significant persuasive value in other provinces. 

My opponents shouldn’t be gloating because I’m just getting started in fighting for secularism.  You ain’t seen nothing yet.  I don’t care about media coverage like some people think.  I care about the advancement of freedom like every person should.

Best regards,

Ashu M. G. Solo